[TowerTalk] Fwd: Shielded shack

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Shielded shack
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 13:27:51 -0400 (EDT)
The idea is not to let any current through the aluminum foil. ALL connections
to the foil is in ONE point, the point there everything is entering the shack.
I do not believe tht the foil would protect the shack from a direct lightning
strike. What is the possibility that will happened anyhow with a 85 foot tower
next to it. OK, never say never!

My idea is to protect the gears inside the shack when lightning strikes the
tower. I don't believe the current going through the foil will be that high. It
is determined by the capacitance between the shack and the ground, and the rise
time of the voltage, right.

Presently, I have an aluminum plate under my radio equipment to which
everything is grounded. The plate acts like a "half" Faraday shield, and I
believe that arrangement saved me a couple of times. (I have had three (3) know
direct strikes in my house and have learned the hard way how to protect
electronics; telephones, stereos, etc.) I have not lost any ham equipment yet.

Grounding of the foil will be via a conductor connected to the tower. Hope that
is not against any code.

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS