Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Top Guys

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Top Guys
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:59:16 -0400
On 10/10/2013 8:44 PM, Keith Hanson wrote:
I am in the process of putting up a 100' stick of Rohn 45G.  Originally I planned on
standard Rohn guying - 3/16" for the bottom two guys and 1/4" for the top - for
Rev G.  Does anyone have experience in leaving steel for the bottom two guys and
Phyllystran on the top?  How about running 30' of Phyllystran at the top end of each top
guy - like an extended insulator?  I am trying to minimize interaction with the various
wire antennas I'll hang from the tower and keep costs somewhat under control.  I'll have
a 3el/40M option SteppIr for openers, but may change that at some point.  Obviously I am
going to play with a bunch of wire -  dipoles,  inverted Ls, slopers, etc.

I have a 100' 45G guyed at 3 levels using Phillystran.
I used about 6 to 10' of EHS at the anchor points to protect the guys from fire and people. Even with the large array and mast extension the tower was rock solid even on windy days.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower.htm

On a different note, another ham, WB9EDL, and I delivered some used 45G
sections to the Rohn galvanizing facility today - they are called AZZ
Galvanizing in Peoria.  The cost should run approximately $45 per galvanized
45G section.  I recently took down 90' of 25G that had been up for 34 years.
It was a used tower when I purchased if from a local ham and I hauled over to
Rohn to be regalvanized when I bought it.  The tower was in great shape when I
took it down a month ago,  just beginning to show some brown staining in
places; the leg interiors were still shiny bright.  Re-galvanizing is an
inexpensive way to rejuvenate old steel towers.  AZZ is also redoing my guy
brackets, equalizer plates, stand-offs, etc, basically anything except threaded
goods - bolts, nuts, turnbuckles, etc.
As long as I am posting - I recently helped put up 50' of 45G for another local
ham, AB9M.  We had to spend quite a bit of time cleaning excess galvanizing
from new tower sections - the inside of the leg joints.

From the ROHN  manual:
Don't drill out the bolt holes. Use a taper punch, the same one for aligning sections will do.

Drive the punch in to open the hole until the bolts fit. Don't screw them in.

73

Roger (K8RI)