Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 08:37:18 -0700
I'm extremely happy with my Force 12 6BA.  If you drop off the 40 meter
part of it, you still have a crackerjack antenna, I suppose.  That would be
the XR 5 (I have no experience on the XR 5 without the 40 meter part, but I
would think it would perform _at least as well_ on its own).

http://www.texasantennas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92&Itemid=105

Owning it at 65 feet has been a night-and-day difference in my DXing.

That said, I'd vote for height first.  Amazingly often (these are very good
conditions right now), I work stuff off the side and off the back of the
antenna, easily, even though I should be (and am) far down in strength
compared to aiming right at the station.  And, I think from some of the
non-pileups I work, I can hear stuff many others are not.  I know that
stations are way down to inaudible on my Windom at 43 feet.  Height is
worth _a lot_.

Larry WO7R