Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Raising 25G with a helicopter

To: towertalk@contesting.com, nv8a@charter.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Raising 25G with a helicopter
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:42:53 -0400 (EDT)
>  I only watched a little and couldn't see how it was  attached. How were
they going to detach the cable?

    They have an electrically operated hook -  push the button and the hook
opens up.

    Yes, there were a bunch of obvious safety  violations.

    I've used helicopters several times and it's  a nifty albeit expensive
way to go. The instances were where you couldn't use a  crane for big yagis.

    The interesting part is that while the  chopper is hovering, it's in
equilibrium so all you have to do to move the load  is push or pull it -
pretty interesting. Doesn't take much to do  that.

    The biggest thing to look out for is that all  of the moving air
creates a BIG static build-up on the antenna so you need to  discharge it
before
you grab the antenna.

    And the one I rented about 15 years ago was  $450 an hour.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs