Re: [TowerTalk] COAX on CRANKUP-how to hang

To: WK1W Ivan Shapiro <WK1W@ivanshapiro.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] COAX on CRANKUP-how to hang
From: Steven Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:40:59 +0000
With reference to the below: Having cables laying on the ground near the base
of a telescoping tower when you're anywhere it can snow, sleet or freeze can be
a real PITA if any of that happens and then you want to extend the tower again
(many have discovered using buckets of hot water can be required to free up the
cables).

When I lived in the northeast where this could happen, once the tower was
retracted I'd always hang the cables from a hook/bracket on the side of the
tower several feet above ground so they wouldn't end up snow and ice covered
and stuck to the ground.  Saves a lot of buckets of hot water.  :-)

-WB2WIK

I have a US Tower HDX589-MDPL.  Crank-up.  My coax runs thru the rings on the
stand-offs.  Because I ripped apart a Cat-5e and Siamese (RG59 & 18-2) when
raising it [I have four runs of LMR400-UF also in the rings] my solution was to
encase the entire bundle in "split-loom", used in engine compartments to
protect wiring.  Works well.  No problems.  When I lower the tower the bundle
lays on the ground....and I am in Northern Maine :)  cold !!

Ivan
WK1W