Re: [TowerTalk] FW: concrete

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: concrete
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 00:55:55 -0400
>On 11/1/2013 6:24 PM, KM5VI wrote:
>Since then, the price of concrete has skyrocketed. While I haven't checked
>recently it was over 3 times what I paid and I have no reason to believe it
>dropped any.  Steel has come down >some, but not a lot. Why concrete went so
>high I don't know.

Energy costs.  Everything about concrete manufacturing consumes significant
amounts of energy.  Mining the limestone, transportation, calcination (kiln
@1500C), grinding, more transportation, mining gravel and sand, yet more
transportation,  raw material handling, mixing, and final transportation to the
job site.

Al
AB2ZY