Re: [TowerTalk] SWR variations with power

To: Rick Kiessig <kiessig@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SWR variations with power
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 15:23:47 -0800

Both meters show that the SWR level fluctuates somewhat as the power level
changes - getting higher with more power. for example, the range might
bounce around between 1.2 and 1.4 as I talk on sideband at 1 kW, vs. close
to 1.0 after the auto-tuner in the amp runs (generally with 20 to 50W
input). It seems to behave a little differently on different bands.

Ham SWR meters are not precision test equipment.  I design test
equipment for a living and am unimpressed with what I see in most
ham equipment.  We would never use those kinds of designs
in our test equipment.  You are not doing anything wrong.
I haven't tested the N8LP power meter, but the design looks
promising and Larry is very knowledgable.  That is probably your
best shot short of professional test equipment.

Rick N6RK