Re: [TowerTalk] Best coaxial to make Chokes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best coaxial to make Chokes
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 02:30:51 -0500
On 11/13/2013 12:07 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 11/12/2013 8:20 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
may be wrong, but I've always looked at the solenoid coil as if it forms two resonances. The choke itself forms a parallel resonant frequency with a rather high Q So it may work on one or two bands and it also forms a second resonant frequency with the overall coax length which can be worse than no choke at all.

True, but I was trying to keep it simple. <:-)) I mean no disrespect to anyone, but It at least helps some get a basic understanding that were not familiar with the concept.

It's like me, trying to explain what I did for a living (computer systems Project Manager). It didn't take long at all to see that glazed look in their eyes. <:-)) I just tell them I used to head up projects like the ACA failure, but mine worked<:-)) If I'd said we expect a few glitches, I'd have been out of a job.<LOL>

73

Roger (K8RI)

That's a good way of looking at it, but also an optimistic one. The resonance of the solenoid coil (no ferrite core) has a rather high Q (so it's a narrow resonance) and is usually much higher than the band where it needs to work, in which case the resonance is of no value. It's also optimistic that only one resonance will form with the coax. :)

73, Jim K9YC