Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Stubs

To: km5vi@flukey.cc, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Stubs
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 13:56:51 -0500 (EST)
To be precise, the stub's electrical length is from the center of the Tee
connector to the end of the stub. No big deal at HF but sure is at  VHF/UHF.

If the Tee connector is the version with a male connector on the common
port, a double female connector is typically used to connect the stub and that
 becomes part of the stub as well.

I know, splitting hairs here!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 11/13/2013 10:50:31 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
km5vi@flukey.cc writes:

>> Do I make the stub for the correct length, hooked to  the tuner on the
output of the amp, or do I need to subtract the length  from the output of
the exciter to the output of the tuner?

The  stub's electrical length is from the "T" connection to the end of the
stub  so no, you don't add in the direct feedline length to the length of
the
stub.  The direct feedline length, or more precisely, the position  of the
stub along the feedline may be important depending on what you are  trying
accomplish with the stub - particularly if you are wanting to use  the stub
to transform an impedance, in which case the stub would be placed  on the
load side (non-resonant side) of the tuner.  If you are wanting  to do band
pass or attenuation with the stub then you would want to stub on  the line
side (resonant side) of the tuner.  What stub function(s) are  you trying
achieve?

Matt
KM5VI