Re: [TowerTalk] HF2V Elevated or On Ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF2V Elevated or On Ground
From: "Mike Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:43:07 -0500
I have used an HF2V here in southwest Florida for about 7 or 8 years. I ground mounted one with a fair amount of radials, no particular pattern, some long up to 100ft. some short to about 30ft. Total was about 50. I got the idea of raising it about my boat dock on a pole at about 12ft off the ground. Using THREE tuned radials ( what a pain in the neck to get these at 45 degree angle) it played better on both recv and transmit over being on the ground approx. 10ft from a salt water canal. Being over the canal may have helped but the tuned radials even though just a few made quite a difference. Trouble is, it had to be guyed as the winds along the water and especially during the summer thunderstorm season made it a pain to deal with. Waterfront lots are smaller and confining. Therefore back on the ground it went. But it did perform better - elevated - and with elevated/tuned radials at least here. I still have it up thought now in my FRONT yard with a Steppir vertical right over the seawall with the 50 radials in the rear. Nice to able to switch back and forth.
- Mike

-----Original Message----- From: Peter FORBES