Re: [TowerTalk] Ridding Birds from the Tower

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ridding Birds from the Tower
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 14:59:43 -0600
Mike (and anyone else if interested) I may have forgotten to mention that any highly repetitive sound will condition the birds and lose effectiveness over time. Random or pseudo random sequencing is best. I was at a Lowes store today and went to an outside storage area where plastic pipe is cached looking for good but inexpensive ways to bury wires to towers. I commented on the sounds played repetitively enquiring if it was an anti bird system. Yes it was and no it didn't work as there was still lots of birds in the area and lots of droppings in evidence. I have used a couple ultrasonic systems and the one with the best performance had a randomly emitted yelper siren sound but ultrasonic. There was a choice of ultra-sonic bands, one spared dogs and cats.

I retired from a Navy operated lab in San Diego. We had an off shore oceanographic research platform off the coast of Mission Beach. It was plagued with sea gulls and their leavings, food scraps and "processed food." Recordings of sea gulls in distress were made and played back at high volume. Worked fine for a while but the birds got used to it. Went to pseudo random playback timing and got better results.

There are anti bird devices used atop billboards to shoo away birds. They work well and could be adapted/adopted for use on towers. Basically they look like small rotating dipoles in constant motion (intermittent would work and conserve electricity.) (Oh, I once had a job as Energy Conservation Officer of SUBASE San Diego.) Anyway they were aluminum tubes rotated at there center point in a horizontal plane close to the top of the billboards and physically prevented the birds from perching. Substituting say a fiberglass wand in place of the aluminum tubing would avoid detuning problems with the antenna and placing the little motor remote to the antenna with a non conducting (Fiberglass again?) vertical drive shaft and voila, no perching birds.

Now then as regards my previous advocacy of the use of Tanglefoot or equivalent: I never suggested putting it on the tower, just the antenna (large perching birds can damage the aluminum tubes in addition to making a mess with food scraps and "processed food.) However, in the case of a crank-up tower that isn't going to be climbed (think extension ladder) Tanglefoot would encourage the birds to go elsewhere. They hate it.

Shooting birds? Raptors are protected, Federally. This includes sea eagles, AKA Osprey, Bald Eagles, Owls... even buzzards. You can't stand guard duty 24-7 so shooting would not be a good plan even if it were legal. At the price of ammunition these days a couple F/G wands and a small gear motor would be cheaper in the long run. An old micro-wave oven with rotating platform inside is a good source of a motor geared down to a good speed. Need I provide step by step instructions in one syllable words?

-----Original Message----- From: Trond Thorman