[TowerTalk] RFI From SteppIR SDA100 Controller and PSU

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RFI From SteppIR SDA100 Controller and PSU
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:29:21 -0800
Two more of my local friends (W6GJB and W6OAT) have narrowed down severe RF noise to their SDA100 controller. The PSU, a VERY noisy switching PSU, is the major offender, but the controller itself also puts out some noise.

If you are experiencing RF noise, turn off your SDA100, unplug the PSU from the AC line, and listen carefully on all bands. You'll need to tune the SteppIR to each band, one at a time, before powering down the controller. If you SteppIR is a beam and far from the shack, point it directly to the shack before doing your tests.

SteppIR send me a relatively quieter replacement for my 33V supply, but I still heard it on antennas that are close to my shack (especially on 160M), so I've gone back to a vintage home brew linear regulated power supply that I bought from the estate of a neighbor ham. That PSU, of course, is dead quiet, but I still hear noise on 160M on the vertical that's right outside the shack. Hence, when I'm on 160M, I have to kill power to the SDA100.

73, Jim K9YC