Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower

To: "Roger \(K8RI\) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 07:08:15 -0600
Roger, Living in a rural area and having barns and out buildings on property that used to be involved in agriculture is still not a farm in the eyes of the insurance folks. If you are involved in agricultural production, even just leasing pasture for someone else to graze their stock or bale hay you are a farm and you can't be covered by homeowner insurance. This is according to State Farm. It sucks, so says my agent and I agree.

There are various rates depending on the structure(s) in question. A 4 sided bld with concrete floor is lowest structure rate. Next is 4 sided bld of standard construction with dirt floor. The highest rate is for pole barns and the like (includes towers.) If you get your agent to overlook your agricultural production activities, go with homeowner policy, and then say a bull runs over a trespassing kid. Well you have no liability coverage. Better to take the risk of the tower out of pocket.

I suggested that my tower had a concrete floor and was not built like a pole barn and the agent reminded me that pictures of the structure were required.

It is not often that I envy folks living in a hive and constrained by so many rules but this is one instance, exorbitant rates to insure a tower and or antenna. Oh well, I'll just take a two mile hike around the periphery of the ranch to check the fences and note the nearest neighbor at 1/4 mile outside the fence, recall that I don't need a permit for anything I do or build except a septic system and somehow the perspective will come into better focus.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Roger (K8RI) on TT