Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Towers

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Towers
From: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:59:59 -0700
I've had two claims that I submitted to the insurance company that I use, USAA. One was for a lightening(or a power surge) event, and the other was for wind damage of a tower and antenna system.

In the lightening damage incident, which blew up 240 and 120 VAC breakers, among other household items, TV, phone recorder system etc., as well as several pieces of equipment in the ham shack. They replaced all items, even a xcvr that ICOM claimed that the no longer could replace a failed microprocessor type chip .

The wind damage was a collapsed tower and some slight damage to the antenna systems. The antennas I repaired myself, and they replaced the antenna tubular mast system with a stronger triangular crank up tower.

Part of my success, I believe, is that I volunteered to repair some items and install all of the replaced ones myself . In neither case did they send an agent out to assess the damage. I don't recall noticing any increase in the annual policy premium.

This was in AZ and about 10 and 15 years ago. YMMV ! Of course they've had both my auto and home owners' insurance policies for over 55 years, with, at those times, no auto claims.

BTW, I generally feel uncomfortable working with crank up towers, even when cranked most of the way down. I recently procrastinated, for some time, in repairing an antenna system that was on one. One day I was in a Wal Mart store and noticed that they had tall push up extension ladders on sale. After going home and thinking about, I returned and purchased a 24' one for $144. It easily reached, to within working distance, of the top of the nearly fully cranked down tower. I did strap it to the side of the tower, in a couple of places, to improve its stability and my confidence, HI.

I figured that was a cheap insurance (pun intended) for the piece of mind of both me and my spouse, especially since some now consider me approaching elder citizen status.

Chuck,  W7CS