Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt fed vs Inverted L and Vee

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt fed vs Inverted L and Vee
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:21:01 -0800 (PST)
I have been using a shunt fed tower system on 160M since 1978. I first started
out with a 60 feet Universal with a TH6 on top followed by 3 stacked
mono-banders. The next iteration was growing the tower to 70 feet (after a QTH
move) with the monobander stack. A storm took this down and when rebuilt, I put
the TH6 back up. After another QTH move, I grew the tower again to 80 feet with
the TH6 on top and two years ago, the TH6 was replaced with a TH-11. It is
self-resonant somewhere near 1790 KhZ and is a killer 160M antenna.

The shunt feed has been comprised of 1/2 inch CATV hardline fed in series with
a large variable capacitor.
Two years ago, this was replaced by a vacuum variable which I strongly
recommend. I have about 30 radials around 125 feet long.

I cannot imagine a better single element antenna for 160 that fits on my lot
without guying. Your 90 foot tower might benefit by more top loading. I would
get rid of the slant feed as it introduces some horizontal component. This
antenna, in my opinion, is far better than an inverted L or an inverted V.

73, Dennis W0JX/8
Milan OH