Re: [TowerTalk] Re-orienting a crank-up tower

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re-orienting a crank-up tower
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:04:32 -0500
On 12/10/2013 2:53 PM, Kelly Johnson wrote:

We are planning to remodel our home.  After the remodel, my crankup tower
will no longer be capable of tilting over.  I have never tilted the tower
over since installing it and have no plans to do so until the tower is
removed.  I am concerned, however, that it will be difficult to remove the
tower in the future if it is no longer capable of being tilted over.  I
think the only option would be a really large crane or helicopter.  I see
several options:
1) Leave the tower as is and worry about removal when the time comes
2) Move the tower to a new location
3) Figure out a way to re-build the foundation/base in the existing tower
location and re-orient the tower so it tilts in a different direction.

I know how to do #1 or #2, but neither is particularly appealing.  Any
ideas on how practical/feasible it would be to do #3?

FYI - The tower is a Tashjian Towers LM-354HDSP (ie. very heavy!)

The easy way to do #3 is to install new epoxied anchor bolts, pick up the tower with a crane and plop it down on the new bolts.

But that would beg the question: why not wait until you're ready to move and THEN hire the crane?

BTW, if your tower is say, within 130' of the road, a large enough crane can park on the road and easily reach over the house, grab that thing and drop it on a waiting trailer in a half hour. You might have to pay $700-$1000, but there will be no yard damage. Of course this always depends on factors like where the power lines are, etc.

-Steve K8LX