Re: [TowerTalk] Filter location and grounding rods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Filter location and grounding rods
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 00:47:11 -0500
On 12/19/2013 12:05 AM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
Gentlemen,

Two questions regarding the finishing of my new radio shack:

Where to put a power line filter:

The shack is totaly shielded (wrapped in aluminum foil and copper wires) and I
am planning to put filter on the power line entering the shack. The shack is
located around 12 feet from the main house. I have a conduit burried between
the house and the shack. Now, where is the best place for a line filter? Shall
I put it there the power line exiting the house or there it entering the shack?

Not sure I understand, but think you have a separate building for your shack.

Ideally, if practical, the grounding bulkhead should have all the leads entering and leaving the building including coax, rotator controls, and remote antenna switch controls.

As for grounding, 8' rods are not long unless you have rocky soil. I'd run a bare #2 around the periphery and cad weld it to an 8' ground rod at each corner of the small building...assuming that that the building is small
There should also be a ground rod at the grounding bulkhead.
Complete shielding isn't normally required.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Grounding rods:

Grounding the shack, I am planning to put a couple of grounding rods around the
shack. I heard somewhere tha it is more efficient to use several short (4 feet)
grounding rods than one long (8 fet) rod. Does anyone knows how many short rods
are needed for each long rod or is this a fractional number?

With best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS