Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundation (was Concrete Prices)

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundation (was Concrete Prices)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 10:04:04 -0800
On 1/2/14 9:05 AM, Marsh Stewart wrote:
I live in NW Louisiana. I'm looking for a concrete contractor to install a
base per specs for a US Tower HDX-555. I need a hole 5' X 5' 7.25', rebar,
about 7 cubic yards of concrete, and 3 anchor bolts in the right place. I
have the anchor bolts and base. (If the layout of my lot, house, and pool
would allow it, I'd put up 60' of Rohn 45G, with 2 sets of guy wires.)

A major consideration is that access to my backyard is 42.5" wide through a
walk gate and between an A/C compressor and a brick wall. If the A/C
compressor were temporally removed the width of access would increase 4" to
46.5" - not wide enough I'm told for even the smallest of back hoes.
Removing a section of fence for better access is not an option.

Yeah, and moving/removing the air conditioner compressor/condenser is a very non-trivial operation, since you have to pump out the refrigerant, cap it, then put the refrigerant back in, etc.

Several hours work at probably $100/hr when all is said and done.

Your basic Bobcat is about 5 ft wide.. However, because it's fun to go through the Bobcat catalog.. you COULD potentially find a Bobcat MiniTrackLoader with the Backhoe attachment. The Mini TrackLoader is only 3 feet wide.

http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/backhoe

http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/models/minitrackloader/mt55

Yeah, it says it's compatible, BUT.. that's a pretty small base for a big ol' arm hanging out there. It might exciting to operate.

Almost surely the hole will have to be dug by hand and the excavated dirt
moved by wheelbarrow to the front yard to be scoped up by a front-end
loader.

I don't know how flat your area is, but around here, where everyone is on a hill, you get a low boy dump bin, set it on the downhill side with a ramp, and run the wheel barrow across the ramp and dump. Not much "uphill pushing".

BTW, if you're going to move a lot of heavy stuff, getting a two wheel barrow is worth it. Rather than one small wheel in the front, and having the operator lift most of the weight, it has a big wheel on each side, and virtually all the weight is on the axle.

Bid #1: $6,880 - contractor never showed up. The one time I did run him down
to check with him he wanted to change the specs to a 6' X 6' X 6' hole.
Right or wrong, I'm going to go by US Tower's specs.

8 yd of concrete vs a bit more than 7, and realistically, it's not like your hole will be 5.000 feet across and 7.5000 feet deep. "backhoe accuracy" is on the order of 4-6" unless you've got a really skilled operator who's motivated (e.g. digging next to something critical). His quote/thoughts are probably based on the width of his bucket, and experience. A lot also depends on the soil. Making a perfectly vertical wall with perfectly right angle corners is tricky (and unnecessary in most cases). His hole might be no bigger than 6x6 at the top (you give him some painted or marked lines to work within) and get a bit smaller at the bottom.

I'd figure on digging a hole that's a bit bigger than 5x5 feet and a bit more than 7 1/2 feet deep. You can trade off machine operator time for precise measurements against extra cost for more concrete to fill the overage.

There might be a good reason he doesn't want to go deeper than 6 feet (tougher to square up the corners? local knowledge about the water table?)

Bid #2: $9,000

Do those prices sound reasonable? They sounds high to me, but I have no
reference as to what concrete work should cost.

Is the contractor fabricating the rebar cage too?

Around here (THousand Oaks, CA), a backhoe rents for about $400 day plus $100 delivery charge, and this is less than a 1 day job. Figure $30-40/hr for the operator for 4-6 hours, and you're looking at another couple or three hundred bucks.

However, since you can't get a backhoe in, you're looking at hand excavation, and more than waist deep, which means that he has to deal with shoring and that sort of thing. The actual digging labor is fairly inexpensive $20/hr or so, but you'll need a few people, but the shoring as you go down is tricky and takes equipment and time, which has to be ferried through your narrow passageway. That takes time and money

Figure a day to build the rebar cage

A day to get the cage in the hole and the concrete poured and finished.

There's a day of work spread around to do stuff like put up plastic and plywood to keep from damaging the side of the house and the grass and stuff. And to take it down and clean up afterwards. There might be a cost to take junk (concrete cleanout) to the dump too. Or to haul the dirt away.

Probably 3 or 4 days with a couple workers at $200/day/worker, so somewhere around $1500-2000 in labor. Then he has to pay himself, and insurance, and so forth.

8 yd of concrete at 150/yd is $1200, and another few hundred for the pumper truck (or guys to wheelbarrow it)

It's clearly not a $3000 job (at least around here), but it doesn't seem like a $7000 job either, but it could easily creep up there.

Your quote might be high because it's work he really doesn't want to do the work, or he's aiming a bit high so he is sure to come in under budget, or because he anticipates unexpected difficulties.

73,
Marsh, KA5M