Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 13:05:21 -0700

By the way, while I totally understand why you'd want to tack weld the bolts to the rebar, I've never thought much of welded rebar cages in general. True weldable rebar (the stuff that is supposed to hold it's strength after welding) is expensive and harder to get. The 40,000 PSI stuff you can get at Lowes and Home Depot comes from indeterminate source material (a mixture of washing machine chassis, old bed springs, car frames, salvaged rebar, etc) and almost certainly will not weld with consistent strength, although you can buy better 60,000 PSI stuff from construction supply places.

Irrespective of the source, building codes allow in line splices if the overlap is sufficient (equal to 20 times the diameter of the rebar or something like that ... don't remember for certain) and securely tied with wires. For ends of rebar that meet another length of rebar in a Tee configuration, I bend the end of the Tee piece and hook it over the straight length, which I think in most cases makes a stronger connection than any weld would anyway.

Just some thoughts ...

73,
Dave   AB7E