Re: [TowerTalk] Magnetic North

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Magnetic North
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 13:32:05 -0800
On 1/3/14 12:22 PM, David Robbins wrote:
Sounds like some bored researchers with too much government money to
waste... my dog doesn't spin around, he just stops, squats, and goes
wherever he happens to be!

Au contraire...
that's what the study (70 dogs) was all about..
If you were to carefully measure your dog's position AND measure the local magnetic field, you'd find that they are correlated, with a pretty decent significance.

It's actually pretty interesting scientifically.
We know that birds have magnetic sensors.. And it's been theorized that mammals do too, so this is actually a fairly inexpensive way to look at it.. if you find out that there's some magnetic field correlation to behavior, that's a telling sign that there must be some sensing mechanism.

What would be interesting is to make sure that they're not being cued by some other factor (e.g. sun angles). If you keep dogs in a kennel with Helmholz coils to change the magnetic field, for instance.

Or Northern vs Southern Hemisphere (sun in the south in Norther, sun in the north in Southern.