Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar

To: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 20:35:57 -0600
Maybe the majority would have to lug lots of heavy gear but I have a plasma cutter, 180 amp Mig, AC/DC stick welder, grinder, vise, O-A bottles, Argon-CO2 bottle, 14 inch cutoff saw, and on and on and on all on my single axle welding trailer which is not hard to hitch up and get close to just about anywhere on the ranch including antenna farm endeavors. I don't think I am unique.

Point 2: wire tied cages of rebar are not nearly as robust as welded. It is darned inconvenient to have rebar messed up under the forces involved in pouring concrete. Dimensional tolerances are much easier to maintain with weldments. Wire tied rebar is a very good thing with flat work like slabs, aprons, patios, sidewalks, and the like but more 3 dimensional work is sometimes approached easier and with more confidence with at least some welding. Must you weld? NO, but if you can it is sometimes better for any of several reasons.

Patrick NJ5G

-----Original Message----- From: Ro Grrr