Re: [TowerTalk] AC/DC injection on CATV hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AC/DC injection on CATV hardline
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:53:22 -0000
K1TTT wrote

>50/60hz or dc shouldn't matter.  the only way to get molten cables is
by too
>much current, you can do that with either ac or dc, but you need some
kind
>of high current source to do it.

The story about "molten" CATV cable sounds like someone connected it to
the 115/230V AC mains.

>There are commercial injectors available, but the old heathkit remote
>switch box used nothing more than a 100mh coil to connect the ac or
half
>wave dc to the coax and a .1uf cap to block it from the tx and antenna.
you
>do have to be sure that the capacitor will handle the max voltage AND
>current at the highest frequency, so don't just pick any old audio cap
out of
>the junk box, get a good ceramic or tx rated cap.

Here you go... <http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/in-prac/best-of.htm#0904>
To download the complete magazine article, click "April 2009".

I have used these bias tees for many years to feed AC/DC power for
remote antenna relays on along both receive and transmit feeders. The
same design covers Top Band to 6m and comfortably handles 1kW of RF.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

DC