Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Removal

To: Carl Braun <Carl.Braun@lairdtech.com>, David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Removal
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:18:25 -0800
On 1/17/2014 3:38 PM, Mike VE3YF wrote:
Hi:
I need to have a hole for my new tower 6' x 6' x 7.5' deep. Due to limited lot
size that I live in, and mainly to keep peace in the family, I am looking at
removing my old tower base 4' x 4' x 5' deep and it contains no re-bar, just
tower base stubs. I can't remember what grade of concrete it is, but it is
about 14 years old. I am limited to 2 types of removal, crane and Armstrong
method. The crane company won't make any guarantee's they can complete the job
due to complications etc, and want a hefty payment up front. I am now looking
at having a young guy come by and use a Jackhammer to do the job.
Has anyone tried demolishing their old tower base and how long did it take any
problems etc. Since this undertaking is new to me I am open to suggestions and
or comments and hopefully some good suggestions.

73 De Mike
VE3YF

http://www.ve3yf.com/

If at all possible, abandon the old base and start over
somewhere else.  A couple of years ago, I sold my house
and had 3 tower bases that I just wanted to bust off the
top 6 to 12 inches of and leave the rest in the ground.
It took about a day EACH to do just this modest operation.
You see, if you place the jackhammer in the center of the
base, you can hammer all day long and nothing happens.
Instead, you have to shave off the edges a little at a
time.

It would be unbelievable for me to even think about jack
hammering all the way to the bottom (working inside the
hole) and then lifting the pieces out.  Even allowing
for no rebar, this is still a no go.

We had a new septic tank put in at the new place, and
what they do with the old one is just fill it with sand.
The definitely do not attempt to remove it.

Another consideration is that you have to end up with
"undisturbed soil".   Another big risk.

I agree with the others that there is no way to pick
up the whole chunk of concrete with a crane.

Rick N6RK