Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for Prosistel rotor pictures

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for Prosistel rotor pictures
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 21:20:46 -0500
On 1/18/2014 5:51 PM, Scott wrote:
Anyone who has had a motor off a Prosistel pst61 (only with horizontal motor) or a pst71 and has pictures of the motor area I would be interested in seeing your pictures. I've seen Roger K8 RI pics already. Trying to determine how many different kinds of motors they used on these over the years.

Just two "I think" (AC and DC for the newer ones.) The motor on the older ones and "I think" newer ones is easily turned in any 90 deg position as up, down, right or left. If it's an older one filled with gear lube, lay it on its side with the motor attach point facing upward, otherwise, expect a big mess when the motor comes loose. Just take the 4 bolts out and position the motor as you wish.

However and it's a big however, I've received reports that there are minor differences from rotator to rotator. The older ones have two weak points. The top seal which is exposed and in a recess where water can and does collect, causing the shaft to rust which causes the seal to lose integrity. IE: Leak. The other is the body to base flange mount. There are just 4 bolts holding the body to base mount. These are 4 threaded holes in the cast aluminum body. There have been a few reports of these failing. I've received a few photos of a couple of these failures. Unless running near the rotators limits, or in a salt laden atmosphere I don't think this would be a problem. I'd like to get one of their new top of the line rotators to play with, but that's kinda pricey for just an experiment.

I had to go with mounting the motor horizontal in my setup.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

Tnx
Scott