Re: [TowerTalk] Protection of a preamp

To: normanlizeth@gmail.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Protection of a preamp
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:31:03 -0500 (EST)
Norm, yes, there are dragons here!

Relay isolation has to be sufficient keep the rf voltage from destroying
the preamp. Often times a single relay doesn't give enough isolation and
tandem  relays are required. This applies to both the input and output of the
preamp.

Another issue is the relays will generate an inductive voltage kick at turn
 off. You can add filtering and clamping diodes but the spike can happen so
 quickly that the preamp still gets a hit before the protection circuit
does it's  job.

Timing is critical. The relays need enough time for the contacts to settle
before rf is present.

VHF/UHF operators typically use a sequencer to turn things on/off in the
right order and time to protect the preamp. The requirements for complete
protection are not trivial!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/21/2014 8:14:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,