Re: [TowerTalk] The details of wiring a homebrew AZ/EL rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The details of wiring a homebrew AZ/EL rotator
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 12:02:57 -0600
* On 2014 25 Jan 11:16 -0600, Lizeth Norman wrote:
> I have double shielded 18Ga 4 twisted pair wire.
> When I terminate the wire, what do I do with the braid shield. There will
> be 40W UHF or 50W VHF max around, so the idea of protecting my sensor's (5V
> ttl) wiring is something I'm concerned about.

Ordinarily I would think that grounding one end would be the correct
thing to do.  As I've not done what you're doing on a tower, I would
consider bonding it to the tower ground at the bottom where it breaks
away to the shack and not bond it to ground at either of the terminating
ends.  It seems that would drain off lightning static and any stray
transmitted energy.

Does the controller manufacturer offer any suggestions?

73, de Nate >>