Re: [TowerTalk] Tilt winch article

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tilt winch article
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 07:47:13 -0800
On 2/3/14 10:16 AM, Earl Wesner wrote:
I would recommend taking that DC /winch /back to HFT and trade it for
one of their /hoists/ and make a bracket for it then mount it upside
down with the cable running up. The hoists are designed for lifting,
whereas the winches are designed for pulling horizontally, like an SUV
or boat.

'XK makes a very important point.. most winches do not have a brake, since they're used for dragging something horizontally. If power fails or you turn off the winch or the gears break, the load just sits there and the cable goes a bit slack.

Hoists usually have an internal brake or are geared such that they can hold the load with no power. (although I have had some, shall we say, exciting moments with a set of 110VAC hoists that didn't hoist all at the same rate, so the loads didn't distribute evenly)

HFT sells a couple that run on 110volts and have a hand control (no
doubt you saw them). There is a ham which I'll provide the link to who
did just that.

Earl    N4XK