Re: [TowerTalk] TIC ring slipping

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TIC ring slipping
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:39:40 -0600 (CST)
tic rings will windmill, or at least the older ones will, I don't know that he
has fixed that in later models.  at one time I was given a kit to hep stop it
that amounted to a switch to short the motor windings when the rotor wasn't
being used, the idea was to use the back emf when the motor was driven from the
ring to act as a brake.  another option is to add a second motor, that helps
some also as it adds more drag.  the basic problem is that the motors don't
have enough reduction and dgrag to act as a brake by themselves.  and it is
odd, I have never seen them move either, but when I look after a good wind I
know they have.  the same thing happens with yaesu g-xxxx rotors as they have
no brake and will windmill at times, but at least they have hard stops to hit
eventually.