[TowerTalk] EF420/240

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] EF420/240
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:37:19 -0800
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:05:13 -0600
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>
To: "'Dan Hearn'" <n5ardxcc@gmail.com>, "'towertalk reflector'"
<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EF420/240

####   After some extremely violent winds and snow storms recently the beam
OVERHEAD TRUSS  GUY has
apparently come loose from the ATTACHMENT TO THE MAST  and now is lying
across the elements and boom. The beam, of course, is flopping around.

##  He means the mickey mouse F12 boom truss setup.....where it U bolts to the
mast.   IMO,
it’s Fubar engineering.   What it does allow for however, is for the boom truss
to be one continuous length.
That makes it easier to mount at the CG.  You are better off to use a DX
engineering  truss plate..with the offset
built into the plate.   Plate is U bolted to mast.   Cut the steel truss in the
middle and install nicropress crimps.
Then use a DX eng turnbuckle on each side of mast.  Heavy ga wire is fed
through the center of the turnbuckle...so it
can not move after it has been tweaked.

##  If the boom is flopping all over the place with no truss line... IMO, the
boom is not strong enough to begin with.
The truss wont add any horizontal support..... only eliminate  vert sag.   Even
if a short 6 foot cross boom was mounted to the
mast, with TWO truss lines on either side of the mast,  it still wont provide
any additional  Horz support.

Jim   VE7RF

OK, looking back at this, I mistakenly thought you were referring to the
linear loading wires. My mistake.

Is this the boom truss lines, or the 40M element LL wires that also act to
truss the elements ?

73, Jamie
WB4YDL