[TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower regulations for home brew towers in the US?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower regulations for home brew towers in the US?
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:15:53 -0500 (EST)
Hi Markku,

As I have lived in both Sweden and USAI think I can give you some extra insight
in the mechanism erecting aradio tower in USA.

USA is a country ruled by lawyers andinsurance company. That put some
restrictions on what you dare to do as you most likely will get sued if
somebody feels they can get hurt or have some other "economic impact". Lately
we have also seen an influence of what iscommonly called “tree huggers”, people
that have an urge to stopanything that remotely can be called “development” in
the name of“saving the earth and the nature”.

During my time in Sweden (I moved toUSA 30 years ago) I erected many antennas
and whatever you needed to“get the signal out”. Nobody even bothered to say
anything unlessit disturbed their TV reception to an intolerable level.

When I came here, neighbors neverbothered me with my radio experiments. I lived
then in Brooklyn, NY.I still have a 30 foot mast on my roof there. (It's
“grand-fathered”to stay there.)

A few years ago I decided to erect a 85 foot towerin Vermont. I experienced a
strong resistance from neighbors thatdidn't want “their horizon be disturbed by
technology”. 1 ½ yearlater I had my permit. “My town hadn't discovered the
power orrequesting a professional engineering evaluation or it would have
costme a lot more than the application fee.

As you can see from the responses atTT, USA is a stronghold for bureaucrats and
"tree huggers" that know how to make life aroller-coaster ride. Do what you can
to keep they out of Finland. Youmanage to push out both Swedes and Russians in
the past. Keep up thegood work.

73 de,

Hans – N2JFS/SM6BXX