Re: [TowerTalk] Penetrox cleaning

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Penetrox cleaning
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 07:19:45 -0600
Steel wool will shed as John said and then rust. You can use stainless steel wool (available but not at every little corner market or local Walmart.) Bronze wool doesn't rust and doesn't shed as bad as steel wool but you'd want to be sure not to leave any of its debris behind to cause dissimilar metals mischief.

Can someone mention why solvents and other measures are of interest to remove the last vestiges of Penetrox before reapplying Penetrox? I "get it" with respect to removing most of the old, getting rid of lumps,dirt, etc and or smoothing the contact surfaces but why try to remove the last vestiges of Penetrox to prepare for coating with Penetrox? Penetrox is formulated for long term stability. You don't change Penetrox like changing oil in a car every so many months or miles. " Oh, I have a high mileage antenna, worked a lot of DX you see, I better change my old worn out Penetrox." Never heard that before.

Patrick NJ5G