Re: [TowerTalk] Elementary feedline loss question

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elementary feedline loss question
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 22:02:10 +0100
Here's a method I use:

Terminate the line with a short circuit. At the other end of the line use the analyser to find the frequencies where the line impedance is lowest resistance and zero reactance - those frequencies will be where the electrical length of the line is a half-wave or multiple. Note the resistance R.

Then for low losses:
Line Loss(dB) = 8.69 x R / Zo

Or, more generally:
Line Loss (dB) = 10 x Log[(Zo-R) / (Zo+R)]

If you need results at a few more frequencies, open circuit the line at the far end and repeat the process with line lengths of a quarter-wave and odd multiples.

If you're interested in the underlying maths, it's on my web site:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/wet_ll/tl_formulas.pdf

Steve G3TXQ