[TowerTalk] cleaning aluminum tubing

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] cleaning aluminum tubing
From: Tom_N2SR <tom_n2sr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 14:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
I think this might have been asked before, but here goes.

I have some antennas that I am in the process of checking out to sell (see my
previous FOR SALE message).
Unfortunately, most of the elements, and even parts of the booms were stored on
the ground, not above ground,
and over a long period of time have become tarnished with dirt, leaves, etc.  I
know electrically they would work
fine, but a few potential buyers have "complained" or commented that "the
antenna looks old."  Well, it is, but I'd

like to "shine them up a bit" or at least get some of the heavy tarnish off the
elements and boom.

Short of scrubbing with SOS or scotch brite pads, is there any easily
obtainable chemical or combination of chemicals
that I can use to remove the tarnish?  I don't care if it doesn't shine them up
bright. I just don't want to have to go to

some chemical warehouse and sign my life away to get something that the EPA
deems cancer causing.

BTW, I know that most members of the list are pretty spread out, but I do have
2 105BAs, 2 155BAs, 2 205BAs,

a old version Cushcraft shorty 40, that I will be selling off at fair prices.
I plan to put them together to make sure I

have all the pieces.  Feel free to let me know if you are interested in any of
the above.

Thanks!

Tom, N2SR