[TowerTalk] Measuring Ferrite

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Measuring Ferrite
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 13:58:06 -0700
I confess, I am spoiled.  I have access to a plethora of RF devices such as
network and impedance analyzers so I wouldn't have to make do with making this
measurement with a rigged up setup.

BUT, if I found myself stranded on a desert island with Ginger and Mary-Anne
and they had some ferrite that they wanted me to characterize for them I could
probably do it with my trusty MFJ Antenna Analyzer as a signal source and a
receiver with an S-meter.  Two things most hams have.  I might not be able to
characterize it too accurately but I could probably sort out the 850u from the
125u material as well as figure out if I had enough turns to generate the
desired choking impedance and build Mary-Anne the balun of her dreams.  I would
just use the analyzer and receiver as a makeshift impedance analyzer and
measure the signal attenuation through the ferrite at several frequencies and
maybe with a couple of different number of turns configurations.

Comparing it to known materials of the same size and shape would tell you what
it was for sure.

Earl
N8SS

On 4/10/14 5:34 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:

> Just about everyone using a tower in Ham radio also uses ferrites, often
> on the coax to/from the tower.  OK hi-tek guys what is a good
> experimental lash-up for testing ferrites?  Typically the mix is not
> labeled on the part and how do you know it is labeled right if it is?  A
> lot of  kinds and sizes of ferrites available at all kinds of prices
> typically not labeled.  Even if you get what you pay for then a few
> months later when they are mixed with some previous ferrite bargains
> which is which?

What sort of test equipment do you presume having?

A couple turns though the core and a way to measure Z at RF frequencies
is a pretty good way to sort them out.

It's pretty idiosyncratic (everyone has a different style of winding,
etc, and the parasitics on your analyzer are different than someone
else's)..

But, if you have something like a MFJ, you can measure Z at 2 or 3
frequencies at something like 1-2 MHz, 10-20 MHz and 100 MHz and get a
feel for what the different mixes are like (with some knowns to check with).

the different mixes have VERY different mu, so the Z at a given
frequency will be radically different (for the same size core).  And the
other thing is whether it's a powdered metal or ferrite core and whether
it has high loss or just high inductance.

I have a little chart in the box with my old MFJ 259, a PL259 to
cliplead adapter and 12" of wire.  Mostly, I just measure when I know
what it is, write it down, and then in the future, compare.

> I don't think identifying the mix is an important goal although you may
> be able to make an educated guess after measuring performance attributes
> of your ferrites.  What would be good to know and would constitute
> success would be to get a measure of their characteristics  at various
> frequencies. The preferred method of testing should not require a bunch
> of lab gear not typically found in a modest shack. A minimal set of gear
> would include your station's primary equipment, such things as your
> transmitter, coax jumpers, dummy load,SWR meter, volt meter and watt
> meter.

That would be tough.. you're going to have to do a lot of recabling.
What you really want is something like a RF bridge (e.g. a MFJ antenna
analyzer or equivalent).

  The test may require putting a toroid on a length of coax and
> then installing a connector (maybe repetitively.)   Tests may require
> winding an insulated conductor around/through a ferrite core.

Almost certainly.

> Perhaps an antenna analyzer would be available for a different test
> schema.  Maybe there are other pieces of equipment that would be useful
> and likely to be available.  To be accessible to more hams the tests
> should not be limited to only those requiring more sophisticated gear
> such as my HP 8753D Network Analyzer with accompanying HP 85041 S
> parameter accessory for testing from 300 Hz to 3 GHz.

One could probably build a "ferrite checker" for hamfest/junkbox use
with something like a canned crystal oscillator (e.g. used in
computers), a diode and a voltmeter.  It's mostly a matter of calibration.

It's all about measuring the Z of the thing at a couple or three
frequencies.  For "categorization" the Z measurement doesn't have to be
all that accurate.