Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing adjustment

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing adjustment
From: EZ Rhino <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 18:08:42 -0600
Jim is right on the money.  The second bearing in the middle is loose all the
time until you need it to hold the bottom of the mast after raising the mast
off the rotator for a rotator fix.

When I put in my Tri-Ex LM-470 I took the existing rotator plate and put it
inside my Duplicator™ machine.  After inserting 50 cents and pressing the start
button I had an exact duplicate.  Both rotator plates went into the tower, the
lower one for the rotator (about 3-4' down) and the second one between the top
and the rotator.  I built a mast raising fixture/winch on the second rotator
plate to raise and lower the mast on the tower and for future rotator service.
It works great!  Rather than using a bearing on that plate, I used four small
pieces of HDPE plastic with radiused ends to match the diameter of the mast,
used as sliders.  After the install was complete the raising fixture/winch was
removed along with the plastic sliders...now it is just an empty plate with a
large hole in the middle of it.

The important thing here is this has to be considered at the beginning of the
project!  You can't get the second rotor plate in there once everything is in
place.  (Unless you have a crane come in and hold up the entire antenna array
while you put the second plate in there.)

Chris
KF7P