Re: [TowerTalk] Keeping antennas straight

To: Joe Barnes <n4jbk@comcast.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Keeping antennas straight
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:29:26 -0700
On 4/19/2014 9:00 AM, Joe Barnes wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion other than pinning or the Tennadynes Slip Knott
for keeping antennas from moving around in the wind? All of my aluminum has
sprouted at over 100 feet in the air and is a bear to keep straight in these
winds that we get here in Florida in some of these storms. Thank you for your
input.

Joe N4JBK

This class of problem involves many uncontrolled variables
such as friction, and how closely a clamp such
as a Slip Knott fits the mast, how much the mast deforms
or the clamp deforms, the amount of galvanizing on the mast, etc. Testimonials to the effect that a given antenna has not slipped during an XXX MPH storm, etc., don't have much applicability to
a different installation.  Your best bet is to have a lot
of redundancy.  Use a large mast to boom plate with 4, 6 or
even 8 clamps in parallel.  I use a K7NV prop pitch that has
5 clamps in parallel.  Be sure to devise a sun proof
weather proof marking system so that if something slips, you
know what slipped.  Also, be careful what you wish for.
If you have no slip as a mechanical safety valve, your rotator
may break.

Rick N6RK