Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Overheating?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Overheating?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 22:59:26 -0700
I melted the commercial "HD QRO" bead type choke off my GOTA G5RV feedline junction and since then only use the FT-240-31 cores stacked 3 or 4 at QRO with TFE coax (RG142 double silver) turns or the "big clamps ons" type 31 at up to 500w with RG8X, very convenient. Why use beads when inductance is proportional to turns squared? A much better use of ferrite is a larger core with the appropriate turns per K9YC or G3TXQ's data.

Never again G5RV's, fan dipoles rule!

Grant KZ1W