Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna matching values

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna matching values
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 23:35:34 -0700
Hi Drax,

Some thoughts. Those SWR values at the TX end of a feedline indicate a significantly higher SWR at the antenna, which in turn suggests that something is wrong up there. Or perhaps somewhere along the line something is wrong. The "somethings" could be anything from a badly installed connector to a bad piece of coax to a junk connector at a splice. On in the polarization switching.

First step -- get one of those EE types with an antenna analyzer that can do a Time Delay Reflectometry (TDR) measurement of the line and look for problems. That TDR will tell you if there is a cable or connector problem, and it will tell you, with several inches, where it is (he'll also have to measure the Vf of the line to get that info.

Second, have that EE type make swept impedance measurements, plug them into SimSmith, and in Sim Smith, translate the measurement made in the shack to the antenna.

Poking around with the analyzer for a while may give some good clues about where to look. Sim Smith can help someone who knows how to use it design a matching network. But I'd try to find and fix the problem before I tried to put lipstick on a pig.

73, Jim K9YC