Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs other welds or brazing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs other welds or brazing
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 17:05:07 -0400
On 4/26/2014 1:00 PM, Warren Wolff via TowerTalk wrote:
  My Tower guy wants to CadWeld my copper to the
legs of my AN Wireless tower.  This worries me.

I'd pass on CadWelding directly to tower legs. CadWelding melts a goof portion of the base metal and alloys it with the copper and the Aluminum in the CadWeldinf material. It makes a very good electrical joint, but would severely weeked the portion to the legs that is melted. It also heats quie ab=n area areound the weld to red hot, which slowly cools.

I don't know the temper of the legs, but any present temper is likely reduced. I would neither heat the legs to a temper reducing dull red, or hotter, nor would I allow holes to be drilled the the legs and particularly no holes in galvanizing. ROHN specifically warns against drilling out tight fitting bolt holes, or using the bolt to thread its way in. To enlarge the holes, use a long taper pin with a gradual taper. This will open the hole enough to allow "sliding" the bolt in and leaves the galvanizing in tact! You may have to drive the taper pin in from both directions.

As a general rule, for tower legs, don't heat, don't weld, and don't drill.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Warren
W7WY