Re: [TowerTalk] Tristao TMS-771 Motorozied Crankup Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tristao TMS-771 Motorozied Crankup Tower
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 16:39:47 -0500
There are several ways to mechanize limit switches, including:

Mechanical arrangements such as micro switches with a lever or similar that is pushed to change state on contacts either open to closed or closed to open depending on the particular design.

Reed switches and magnets or Hall effect devices and magnets.

Optical, typically an LED and a photoreceptor not unlike the safety mechanism that controls a garage door. Your kid or dog breaks the beam and the door stops and maybe reverses. Same idea for tower sections moving with respect to one another. Components are readily available at OVERHEAD DOOR or probably the big box store but I don't know this latter for a fact. A DIY project, not a super simple kit.

Some limit controls are current sensing. When the mechanical limit is reached the current drawn by the motor spikes to a value above the normal operating current which is sensed by the controller which kills the power to the motor.

There may be other mechanisms in use (maybe some humorous Rube Goldberg ones) but I am not familiar with any others in use if there are any.

There was a fellow with an experimental controller that had a follow up pot like a rotor. You dial in a height and the tower motor ran the tower to that height. I think his system had micro switches with levers as fail safe limit switches for just in case.

73,

Patrick NJ5G