Re: [TowerTalk] Phillistran

To: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillistran
From: Ken Beals <k6mr@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 06:37:20 +0000
Yes, the Calfire crew got here just as the house was starting to burn. The fire
moved from the north to the south, and unfortunately the shack/workshop/tower
was on the north side of the property. There is a large cleared area around the
house which likely slowed it down a bit, but I still lost the wood front porch
and the wood power pole. Of the 7 houses in the immediate area, only two
survived (mine and one other). We are all on 20 acre parcels, so there is lots
of space between houses. The fire destroyed about 80 houses and 200
outbuildings total.

The area around the tower was not cleared at all. What made it especially bad
was the type of trees present, which was mostly Manzanita which burns quick and
hot.

The good? thing now is that I don’t have to worry about fire for quite a while.
There’s nothing left to burn.

Ken K6MR