Re: [TowerTalk] UV resistant wire ties

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UV resistant wire ties
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 11:01:58 -0500
* On 2014 30 May 10:50 -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> Unfortunately many of the component chemicals and processes used
> 30 years ago are no longer available or are not cost effective
> thanks to regulations imposed by environmental watchdogs/enviro-nuts
> (depending on your political point of view).  That doesn't extend
> just to plastics but relates to a long list of materials used in
> construction and consumer products.

Which was also said to have been the reason the foam broke off the
external tank mortally wounding shuttle Columbia on its last flight.
Part of me is convinced that rather than backtrack on regulation of such
chemicals for safer space flight, we opted to eventually ground the
fleet.

As for Zip ties, they're not cheap but I've seen pretty good life out of
Panduit ties we buy for work that have the metal locking tab.

73, Nate