[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Problems with Ameritron RCS12 solved

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Problems with Ameritron RCS12 solved
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 07:10:03 -0400

Some time ago I posted a problem I had with the RSC12 8 position Antenna switch controller sending out phantom voltages to the switch causing the extra relays to close by accident. Measuring voltages at none switched ports using the 8X1 configuration demonstrated that their existed enough voltage on unused ports to close extra relays inside the switch box at the tower accidentally. Of course this cause all sorts of problems with the amp protection circuit shuting down my Alpha 87A due to high VSWR. This problem was consistent with three Ameritron switch boxes I purchase. With the help of Joe, W4TV the problem seems to stem from insufficient pass transistors cut off in the RSC12 controller. I sent one of the units back to Starkville for evaluation and repair about four months ago but so far no reply on how they intend to fix the problem which Joe feels might be repaired by simply changing the values of the voltage divider on the input of each pass transistor for a more dynamic cut off.

Out of frustration I purchased a DX-Engineering 5KW remote antenna switch model DXE-RR8B-HP which considerably was more rugged than the Ameritron 2KW unit. Unfortunately the problem with the phantom voltages was still taking place using the Ameritron RCS12C controller. Then I though about using the RS-232 on this controller output to key some 5VDC relays that in turn would sent out 13VDC to the correct ports on the DX-Eng box. Unfortunately the RS-232 output is just a voltage high and not enough current to close any miniature relay. Then it dawned on me that what I needed was a simple "electronic relay brick" that is a common item for remote control for many Arduino applications allowing the control of high power devices with total isolation from the switching sours. I went to eBay and quickly bought an 8X1 "brick" for under $20. Installation is simple and the unit even has status lights showing which relay is sending out the antenna switching voltage. In fact such a device may be perfect for direct interface on contest programs like N1MM. My antennas are automatically tied to my Icom which drives the Ameritron RSC-12C controller. This allows me the flexibility of an override to any band like 40 and 80 where I have both vertical and horizontal antennas. This system also allows for far away remote operation for NP2P by simply bringing up my Icom RS-BA1 on any computer screen via Ultra-VNC and Yuri just points and click at the needed band while operating the station via Remote Rig and a TS-2000 from an apartment in Brooklyn.

I highly recomend the Arduino electronic relay brick interface which lends itself perfectly to the 8X1 outputs available with the RCS-12 contoller along with the DX-Engineering 5KW antenna box at the tower. Maybe DX-Eng will someday offer the Arduino power switching 8X1 unit in their catalog as a perfect add on to their remote antenna switches so they can bbe controlled by almost any radio without serious modifications.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ