Re: [TowerTalk] first post

To: <kk5do@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] first post
From: "Steve Jones" <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 08:26:49 -0700
Bruce-

When you say whatever your little heart desires, what would that be?
Antennas for an SO2R contest station?  DX pileup chasing only?  Ragchewing
with old friends?  And what are your budget constraints?  Once you decide
those things you can narrow your choices of tower and antenna.

I spent close to $30K over the past few years putting in a US Tower HDX-589
with a SteppIR DB42 on top.  That includes a very expensive San Mateo County
building permit, 11 yards of concrete, lots of cables, Orion 2800 rotor
(which may not be big enough!), chrome moly mast, etc, etc.  With the mast,
the antenna is at 92 feet.  The DB42 is truly wonderful, but I still need
separate antennas to listen on other bands at the same time, a fundamental
limitation of the SteppIR.  We get fierce winds here, with 90+ mph gusts, so
I wanted a crankup to be able to lower the antenna behind a thick bank of
trees when the big storms come in off the Pacific Ocean.  I didn't want to
climb a 100' tower every time something broke, like I used to when I had my
2-element quad mounted on a 120' fir tree.  I climbed that tree too many
times!

73,

Steve
N6SJ