Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Drive-In Base

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Drive-In Base
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 05:08:45 -0400
On 6/7/2014 8:15 PM, Linux Mercedes wrote:
Hi,

I'm pretty new to this tower business; I just moved somehwere where I need to put up a 50'-ish tower to get service from my local WISP.

I have a bunch of Rohn 25G that was given to me. I noticed Rohn sells a drive-in base (SDB25G). I live in central Missouri with very clayey soil; do you think such a base, with sufficient guying, would be alright for me to use? (Alternatively, I may make my own dirt base that's longer for more stability.) I don't plan to use the tower for much, so I'm not too concerned with maximum wind loading.

With sturdy soil you can even use a dirt base.
As Jim said, it only keeps the guyed tower from skidding sideways, or sinking. I've used them in the flat lad farming soil (clay loam to sandy loan, to stony hill tops...gravel like) up to 90 feet, but sticking with antennas appropriate for the 25G, not overloaded as they often are.

Here's one I built http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Dirt_Base.htm
Had an antenna party today to take that tower down to be replaced with an LM470

73

Roger (K8RI)

I have other questions about self-standing towers, but I'll ask those in a different thread.

Thanks,
--Nathan