Re: [TowerTalk] ICOM AH-4 Antenna Options...

To: Dino Darling <dino@kx6d.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ICOM AH-4 Antenna Options...
From: Dan Hearn <n5ardxcc@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:20:48 -0700
Hi Dino: Many years ago when I first got my license I lived in a 2 story
house with attic. I installed a 20 m dipole in the attic. Every time I
closed my key the light bulb in the downstairs kitchen would light and I
interfered with the downstairs BC radio. The antenna was obviously coupling
to the power wiring nearby.
  I assume that the 4 story condo you mentioned will have other families in
some of the other units. They will have phones, stereos, Tv's etc. You can
expect severe interference, particularly bad with some of the unbalanced
antennas you mentioned.
  If I were you I would look into a remote station controlled and operated
over the internet. You can either build your own or there are now a number
of remote stations which you can rent to operate.

73, Dan, N5AR

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:25 PM, Dino Darling <dino@kx6d.com> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I will be installing an AH-4, paired with an ICOM 9100, in the attic of
> a 4-story condo. My original plan was to set up either a 20M or 40M
> dipole, one off of each leg (center and gnd) of the AH-4. Then I
> thought, why not experiment with an OCF configuration? Either way, I'm
> 60' from the earth so grounding the AH-4 would be difficult, if not
> impossible.
>
> My question is, what experience do you have using an auto tuner/coupler
> and different antenna configurations (dipole, OCF, long wire, etc). Any
> recommendations? Getting into the attic for multiple tests will be
> difficult so I'm looking for a solid starting point!
>
> Dino - KX6D

Dan Hearn
N5AR