[TowerTalk] SRTM Fill Data

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SRTM Fill Data
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 22:48:09 -0400
Been trying to model the legendary W3CRA site using HFTA. I downloaded the SRTM 1 arc-second data in a .TIF format from the NASA website. All is working well except that a few north bearings from the site appear to have been data-shadowed during the year 2000 space shuttle capture. This shows as a dead terrain zone between 900 ft to 2200 ft on the hill just north of the site. That's a huge problem since HFTA heavily depends on the mid-field terrain data. In researching this effect, apparently quite a few SRTM tiles require "fill data" from an alternate source.

I figured out how to merge .TIF data image tiles, but does anyone know how to add fill data back into a .TIF file and exactly what 1 arc-second source to use? Tnx!

Paul, W9AC