Re: [TowerTalk] Mixing Rohn 20G and 25G

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mixing Rohn 20G and 25G
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 22:13:57 -0400
"I'm sure 60' of 20 with a couple bays
of reasonable guys will hold a tribander. Cone on....this is ham radio."

We didn't know any better in my high school years. Several friends had triband installations using 20G sections between 40'-60'. Mine was 50 ft. with a house brace at 20 ft. and one single guy point. I guess I'm lucky to be typing this. Looking back, no real engineering went into any of these. Rather, we looked at each installation and came to our own conclusions concerning antenna loading and guy wire placement.

I know of one 60 ft. 20G installation that supported a TA-33, a pair of KLM 2m long-boom Yagi arrays, and a 15 ft. water pipe to support an 18 ft. Shakespeare BigStik antenna for 10m. That's 83 ft. from base to antenna tip with two complete sets of guys spaced by gut feeling. I know it was up for more than 15 years without failure when a crew came in to remove it. So, I have to believe that with the mis-use of so many 20G towers, perhaps Rohn understood this -- and delivered more on the design than what was sold on the 20G product marketing sheets.

Paul, W9AC