[TowerTalk] Rohn 20G and 25G Sections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 20G and 25G Sections
From: Joseph Crawford <w4aab@hughes.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 23:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
Back in the 1970's, I had sections of both in a tower. The rule of thumb among
those who put up Rohn towers then(locall) was that the 25G sections would be
used at the bottom of the tower and the 20G sections would be used at the top.
Never knew of anyone having a problem doing this. I did know of towers that had
the 25G sections on top and 20G sections on the bottom failing. All these
towers were guyed at two levels AND house bracketed.YMMV.I went to hinged-over
self-supporting HBX tower in the late 1980's and also presently because I don't
like climbing any more.In fact, I would not put up a tower smaller than 45G
even with guys. The 25G I have now is on a hinge plate on a trailer and only 20
feet are used. I have 25G that will be holding up a corner of a horizontal
loop. It will be 50 feet high, but I won't be climbing it.I will be using a
hydraulic lift to put it up.
Joe W4AAB