Re: [TowerTalk] How do bldg inspectors handle screw in earth anchors?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How do bldg inspectors handle screw in earth anchors?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 13:21:50 -0700
On 7/10/14, 10:29 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
Has anyone had experience getting a building permit
for a tower with screw in earth anchors?  How does
it get "inspected".  There is no empty hole for
the inspector to look at.  Do you show him the anchor
before insertion?  If you have an authorized AB
Chance installing contractor put in the anchor,
do they issue a certificate that you can show the
inspector?  In a sense, this contractor is also
the engineer and building inspector all in one.

could it be more like a material and process inspection?
You have the paperwork showing you have the anchor and the mfr's paperwork showing what its properties are. Then you have paperwork showing you did the installation appropriately (e.g. if you used a truck mounted drive, it gives a reading of the torque as it drove it)

The only time I've had an "official" inspection of a structure using screw in anchors it was for a temporary installation, and the guy came out, looked at the plans, looked at the erected contraption, verified that what we had built matched the plans, and said "go for it".

Granted it was in an area and application where failure would hurt nobody but ourselves.

What do utilities do when installing poles with these anchors? I find it hard to believe that the city sends out an inspector to watch them plant every pole and its guys.